Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Week 3, Hurricane season starts today!






Most of this lab went pretty well for me. I was momentarily baffled about the meters to feet values until Sean saved me from myself with a solution I should have spotted.

The primary flaw in these maps is that the land classifications appear not to be right. I followed the classification numbering instructions, and have functionally the same values as all the other maps I've seen posted thus far, but they don't agree with the lab listing of land value hierarchy towards the end of the instructions. I suspect something in the instructions may have been transposed. If only ±1.4% of the flooded land was developed, the issues Mississippi faced after Katrina would not have been nearly as dire. If there was more time, I'd be inclined to check the classifications against GoogleEarth's aerials (or some other source) to confirm. If this was a professional project, good QA practice would absolutely demand such verification prior to releasing the maps.

I tried not to clutter the maps with any florid artwork sorts of things, figuring that the purpose of these maps was to clearly and effectively present information which would help facilitate decision making regarding resource allocation. For such a purpose, clutter is counterproductive. This sort of thinking is why I stripped the smaller roads from the roads layer for the third map. Smaller surface roads are perhaps locally significant, but in terms of transporting supplies and other aid to a region, major roads matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment