Friday, February 19, 2010

Week 5, Data Search Exercise




Here's the lab for week 5, the data search exercise.
This lab certainly had some adventurous moments, and a few false starts.
It's also the lab I have learned the most from so far.
I have been using LABINS for more than 10 years in my work as a surveyor, for research on survey control monuments. I had seen these assorted files for DRG, DOQQ, and other alphabet soup sorts of names that didn't relate to my standard applications for LABINS. By the time I got to the end of this exercise, I felt like I had gained something of substantial worth for future professional use. In this respect I am quite pleased - this sort of experience is exactly why I am taking the course.

After getting a semblance of a project direction figured, the primary challenge I found was terrible server lag. I can see a future where I'll bite the bullet and pay the full fee for the program. It's just not running well remotely.

To make the file have anything like the resolution and detail I wanted, a big sheet was required. I chose an ARCH E, 36" X 48". I exported as a png at 150 dpi, and the detail's not too bad. Blogspot squashes the file to a 1600 X 1200 limit, here is the full size version.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a really nice and impressive map. I'm totally and completely jealous. I love how you incorporated your raster images. I really sucked at that part of the lab. Hope to get some pointers from you as class goes on.

    ReplyDelete